Friday, January 04, 2013

17 years is a long time!

The white car on the left in the first image is the car I have been driving for the past 17 years. It is a 1995 Toyota Tercel. The gash (or scratch as my daughter initial described it) has been a part of the car for about 9 years. It has 243,000+ miles of which I have put on about 200,000 of them. It has been a great, fuel efficient car, but all good things must come to an end. So it has come for the Tercel, it has been leaking oil slowly for about 5 years. About 6 weeks ago it lost a lot of oil at once and the engine is now dying. It was time to put it out of its misery. It goes up on a local for sale site tomorrow to be sold as is. Most likely to someone wanting parts from it. When we priced to get the doors replaced 5 years ago we were quoted about $800 per door, so it should have some value (okay, not much) for someone.

So, Scratchy (as co-workers have affectionately dubbed it) has been retired and replaced.

This is the new car, a 2008 Toyota Corolla (yes, we love Toyota's, everyone one in my family now drives at least one). It is roomier than Scratchy, and I no longer get stares in traffic everywhere I go. I am also enjoying being able to open and close completely all 4 doors. It was fun to be able to volunteer to drive for lunch at work yesterday, something I haven't been able to do.

Now I have been saving some Apple Stickers for quite awhile awaiting the arrival of a new car. So one of the first things done was to apply them. Most of the stickers I have are fairly recent, the white ones, but I have been saving a set of rainbow stickers for a long, long time for this car. It was very exciting to finally be able to use one. I also applied a UEN (Utah Education Network) sticker. They deserve this little bit of support for all they do for education in Utah. 

Thus this post is a fond farewell to Scratchy, and a welcome to ......., still trying to name the car. So, a new year, a new car, I wonder what else new this year will bring.

 

 

No comments: