Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Too Many To Fix?

Steve writes about a challenge given to the staff at his new school to fix three of their own broken windows. It started me thinking about which of my broken windows I would and should choose to work on.

One of my initial thoughts was that I have too many broken windows to begin fixing any of them. Then I realized that was probably the first that I should work on. I have a tendency to get down on myself for not accomplishing all that I should in a given day. I need to continually remind myself that there is only so much time in a day and I need to plan accordingly.

This leads to window the second for me. That is to not let me stretch myself too thin. I find myself more and more taking on things I shouldn't. My plate is pretty full and adding things only complicates when I should really be simplifying. I need to learn to say no gracefully and tactfully.

My third broken window which these other two impact deals with my family. I spend more time at the keyboard when I am at home than I should. I need to work out a more efficient schedule so that when I am home with the family, I am with the family.

I know this would help my relationship with my more than patient wife.

No comments: